National Historic Site Cairn
The story of the beginning of exploration, trade and settlement in the area is portrayed in this cairn which is located at the "S.S. D.A. Thomas" picnic site along River Road.
In 1788, Charles Boyer of the North West Company founded the first post on the Peace River. "Boyers Post" or "Old Establishment" was on the north side of the Peace about five miles downstream from today's Fort Vermilion.
Prime Minister Brian Mulroney unveiled the plaque for the National Historic Cairn on July 30,1988 at Fort Vermilion.